Delyn Lewis. Soup. January 22nd , 2021.
Nothing`s better than a bowl of hearty potato soup on a chilly day. To make this soup, cook chopped leeks in a little butter, then add diced potatoes, stock, and herbs. Homemade creamy leek and potato soup. Photos of potato leek soup iii. Potato leek soup is creamy, savory, and oh so satisfying. Now, i`ll admit, leeks are not an ingredient i was extremely familiar.
It`s made without cream, is. This potato leek soup is one of my favorites. Transform leftover mashed potatoes into a cozy soup, flavored with garlic, fennel, and leeks. Eat it chunky or blend with an immersion blender for a super creamy soup. This irish potato leek soup is a delicious way to celebrate st. I could not let st.
Potato Leek Soup
Learn How To Make Potato Leek Soup From Scratch On The Stove Top, Crock Pot, Or Instant Pot! You Can Add Bacon, Cheese, And Even Make It Without Potatoes!.
- 2 cups diced leeks (about 4 leeks)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 stick celery
- ½ cup diced carrots
- 4 large Russet potatoes (equal to 2 lbs.)
- 6 cups chicken broth (separated)
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/3 cup cream (or ½ cup half and half)
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- Salt/Pepper (to taste)
- Optional additions: White Wine (Cheddar, Parmesan, Bacon, Thyme. See notes on how to incorporate.)
- Cut away the dark green, leafy section of the leeks along with the bulbs. We will be using the light green section of the stem and the white part at the bottom. (See post for images.)
- Wash the leek stems and pat them dry. Dice them and set aside.
- Heat 2 TBS Butter and 1 TBS olive oil in a 3 ½ or 4-quart soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the diced leeks, carrots, and celery. Saute for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- While the vegetables cook, peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes.
- Add 5 cups of chicken broth to the pot. Reserve the 6th cup for the end if you want to thin out the consistency of the soup.
- Add the bay leaf, ¼ tsp ground sage, and 1 tsp soy sauce.
- Submerge the potatoes into the broth and bring to a gentle boil. Cook, partially covered, for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are very fork tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and use an immersion blender to mix until smooth. (Alternatively, you can transfer the soup to a blender in batches)
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in half and half and sour cream.
- Add up to 1 additional cup of chicken broth if a thinner consistency is preferred.
- Taste, and season with ¼ teaspoon of black pepper and ½ teaspoon of salt if desired. Simmer until ready to serve.
- Optional: Remove from heat and stir in up to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, or sprinkle with Parmesan prior to serving. Don’t add shredded cheese to a super-hot base or the dairy will separate and the consistency will be grainy.
- PRO TIP: Add the rind from a block of Parmesan or Romano and let it dissolve into the soup as the potatoes cook. Remove if any of it remains, prior to blending. (The rind is the outer part of the block that feels extra firm. Don’t add wax rinds to soup. See more info about cheese rinds here.)
This soup is great year round. Potato leek soup serves as the perfect simple base for any other delicious additions you might want to add. It`s so creamy and delicious, but wait serve this potato leek soup with a parmesan encrusted grilled cheese sandwich or as an appetizer course. And this potato leek soup required little else. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for details.
Fantastic Flavour's Picks
Any content, trademark/s, or other material that might be found on this site that is not this site property remains the copyright of its respective owner/s. In no way does LocalHost claim ownership or responsibility for such items and you should seek legal consent for any use of such materials from its owner.